Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums
Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums
Bobcats R Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bobcats R Us

Bobcat Trapping, Hunting, Predator Calling, Fishing

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Started....

Go down 
+16
nevadaagteacher
mtbadger
huntandfish
Dawgz
cattrappernv
harrishawker1
coloradocat
bfflobo
ridgeback740
bullschmidt
scheide
lope
BUCKSNBOWS
kkoch
Cameron2
nvsage
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
nvsage

nvsage

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Started....   Started.... EmptyThu Jul 25, 2013 3:48 pm

Starting to get stuff ready for trapping season. Finally finished making a skinning rig for my coyote line, should make things much faster next year skinning them all shortly after dispatch.
Started.... Null_zpsc6e505c2
Got an assembly line going on getting all my new 550s and a doz 450s ready with my chain set up... Then just need to wait and see what results are on our trap registration so I can either get them stamped or tagged. Well hope everyone is having a good summer and hope to see a bunch of you guys at the rondy.
Started.... Null_zpsd12599cb
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Skinning rig looks good, but it needs to be taller. You're going to be bending over to the ground to skin out the head.

You're gonna love the MB's!!! I love mine. Only thing you might think about is the spring pins. They stick out so far they will sometimes tangle the chain or swivel. You can cut them off if you don't think you'll ever 4 coil them, or just bend them down.

Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 5:01 pm

Skinning rig will telescope up about another foot and half so hopefully that's tall enough.

I do love the 550s this will give me about 100 of them for my coyote line next year. I cut all the pins on my 550s last year and I noticed they didn't bed as easy as the 4 coiled ones I had and thought that it may be because I cut them.... Maybe do like you said and bend them a bit so they don't get hung up in the chain. I finished all of the traps yesterday after noon with my chain set up and welded all j-hooks... Way to hot to be welding in the garage that's for sure but am glad they are all done.
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 5:54 pm

Ah, the telescoping idea is a good one. That will be a sweet rig to be able to skin coyotes while they are fresh and hot.
Back to top Go down
kkoch

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Skinning rig looks really nice. I just got all the traps dug out going to power wash them this week and try to get them dyed this weekend. Missed last season but am trying to make it up this season.
Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 8:40 pm

Dyed all my coils today. Man I am tired what a long day... Ready to wax em all tomorrow.
Started.... Null_zps21042187
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 8:47 pm

Nice work buddy. You want to come down and do mine? Trade you some shirts or hoodies for it???bounce Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy bounce bounce bounce 
Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 9:36 pm

LOL wish I had the time... Hang out and drink some beers while we do it! Gotta get em all waxed before graveyards tomorrow night.
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 10:12 pm

One day we will make that happen!!
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 12:12 pm

Well NVSAGE I got all my new MB's set up and dyed. I also got all the other traps cleaned and dyed yesterday. Makes for a long day gettn things preped. Well worth it when you hit the field!! Now just got to get the waxing done and some final adjustments on the old stuff and we are golden. I sure like the MB traps right out of the box! No hassle with notching or grinding or anything! 1 adjusment for pan height and done!!!!!
Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyMon Oct 07, 2013 8:56 pm

I hear ya bucks makes things speed right along for sure. I have a trap buying problem! I don't need anymore traps but will most likely end up getting a couple more dz of those 450s if I like em enough. Glad you are getting close only 3 more weeks man!!! Got a deer tag to fill then I will be finishing up making my wax dirt and dirt stakes.
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 12:15 am

Good luck on the deer hunt!!
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 12:44 pm

Last edited by Cameron2 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lope

lope

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Will start skinning coyotes this week!!! Thanks BucksnBows Strechers are done will try them out in Dec. Will be at Falon sale will buy you dinner or lunch Lope
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 4:17 pm

Cameron that is what makes you a good trapper!! Lots of foreplay before you dive into the fur!! I think you got it covered partner. Oh wait maybe another hoodie??bounce bounce Razz Razz 
Back to top Go down
scheide

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyTue Oct 08, 2013 8:52 pm

nvsage, I have a skinning similar to yours, but has a electric winch mounted to it, like the one in my shop. Runs off a power invertor under the hood of my truck. It telescopes and breaks down easily for storage.
Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 9:19 pm

My original design for this skinner was going to have a wench but found that there was no need last season after skinning my critters warm... Just peels right off. It should speed things along for me this year.

Spent most of the day making wax dirt. Got about 75 gallons done and still have about 50 gallons of dry sifted dirt if I end up needing some more. This was my last big thing to get done before season. The only think left to do is organize my bags a little bit and make a couple more dirt stakes just in case. Well I think Cameron2 is right lets get this show in the road... I know my wife is tired of talking trapping with me and season hasn't even started yet!!!
Started.... Null_zpsb1e08a6e
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 10:19 pm

Cameron2 the first day of setting an area is kind of a mess on the quad because I do carry a bit of wax dirt in my box inside of sand bags. Once my traps are out I have  much more room in my box but I do carry a couple in case I find somewhere new to set.  I take it to my set in a little 3 gallon bucket and works great for me. Most places I set for coyotes I can drive right to on my quad so it's not too bad.

I thought that you were tumbling your fur now Cameron? So do you wash and then tumble or just tumble after fur is dry. I made a tumbler last year and will be tumbling fur after fleshing and then put on stretcher.
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 8:00 pm

Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 11:23 pm

FUR shine? what media are you using? Last year was my first year with my tumbler is a quarter of the size of yours but I was using corn cob grit, borax and a bit of baking soda. Talking to some of the fur buyers at our sale last year said to look into a horse main powder shampoo at the stock store to really help make the fur shine. Ever heard of this being used?
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 11:29 pm

When you two get this figured out I will just send you my furs and we can settle up with shirts or something???Laughing Laughing cheers 
Back to top Go down
bullschmidt

bullschmidt

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 1:50 am

Man ya'll make me feel like such a Hick.. Maybe it's just a Pahrump thing.. All I know is when I grow up I want to be able to pass this kind of knowledge on ... ( So I'm taking notes ).

nvsage I think the mixer is a great tool I will be using one with some heavy wash sand (and a few modifications) to clean some old rusty warriors I acquired and get them back in service. I figure it is the same principal as my tumbler I use for Brass in the reloading room.

Bucks I'm with you .. I'll buy the shirts you provide the Ink and this could be a Winner,Winner Chicken Dinner deal..lol! 

Cameron2 is this code for .. Uber Trapper.. Shocked .. I appreciate you for your knowledge and for helping an Old Dog learn New Tricks.. I'm pullin for you raising those averages Brother and for me not draggin them down.
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 12:10 pm

Last edited by Cameron2 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 10:22 pm

Cameron2, I'd be interested in the product names are whey you get them.
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 12:26 pm

Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 2:58 pm

Cameron2 thank you very much!!
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 3:37 pm

Ditto, nvsage's comment, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyWed Oct 16, 2013 4:13 pm

Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 12:31 pm

Went scouting yesterday to some old spots. Laid out some steel to hold some spots. Found some good sign in some of my old walk thru sets locations. This was nice to see! Can't wait to see what happens when the steel is open and ready to go!
Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 7:13 pm

Awesome! Only 8 more days and I get my coyote line out and after my first check I will add all my cat sets. I am actually completely ready to go so I am really getting the itch now... nothing in the garage to keep me busy on days off. Good luck to everyone on this season!!!!
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 7:05 pm

T minus ten days . . . .
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyMon Oct 21, 2013 10:37 pm

I wanted to start this week, but still have flys around and don't want to push my luck. Had a couple of different people who have shot coyotes lately and they fur and leather was good enough to skin and stretch.
I'm already to go except to boil 6 dozen marten traps and some snare supports (which I will do tomorrow).
I'm going to wait until about the first before I plant steel.
Excited about what I'm hearing from the Idaho Trappers Association on fur sales this year, and hoping to make more $$.
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyTue Oct 22, 2013 8:11 pm

Well, I'm now ready. Everything is done and I'm just waiting for the temp to get colder and the flys to go away.
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 8:29 pm

Well, I guess I have to admit that I'm a trap-o-holic. With all this great weather and the cold mountain mornings, I can't wait any longer. Tomorrow morning as the sun comes up, you will find me putting steel in the ground for song dogs. Truck is loaded and a lunch is packed. Hopefully this will help me get rid of the shakes when I walk into the trap shed.
Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Good luck to you Steve hope you knock em dead!!! Did you get the PM I answered you about the tumbler?
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 11:51 pm

I did get it, but don't remember why I never responed. I sent you a pm response. After seeing a picture of your fourwheeler with the shovel mounted on it, I did pretty much the same except I bought a shovel from John Graham at the NTA Convention in June that had the "D" handle but the spade is much more narrow. It's a great dirt hole digger, and I've used it all summer metal detecting for coins.
Our cat season doesn't start until December 14th, so it will be some time before I put out the cat sets, but coyote trapping early, I can also do more current scouting just prior to the season.
Good luck to all you guys in Nevada. I hear that prices are supposed to be as good or a little better (on some species) than last year.
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 8:38 pm

Well, steel is in the ground. Would have put out more, but when I was making a set, a Idaho Fish and Game Warden just happened to drive up. I showed my trapping license and my equip (which is all legal) and we had a real good visit. I am very impressed with our Fish and Game and the quality of people that work for them. He told me that he and his some do some water trapping and asked if he could watch me make the coyote set, which I agreed to let him. After a little while, I found out that he isn't the normal warden for this area, as there is still a deer season on where I'm trapping. I told him that anytime he or the warden for my area wants do come with me on the trapline, they are most welcome. I hope that all my contacts in the future with Idaho Fish and Game come out this positive.
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 12:13 am

Checked traps today and had my first coyote of the season. Fur looked good and the leather side was looking good also. At 1:00 pm today, I checked some beaver activity on a small creek and found ice on the down stream side of a dam. I would say its cold enough, just waiting for Nov. 1st so I can catch a few of the beaver.
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Not fair to make a post about catching something and then not post a photo. Just sayin . . . .Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 3:08 pm

I wanted to take a picture and had the camera with me, but the damn thing wouldn't take a picture. I tried 4 or 5 times to get the picture and the camera would shut off instead. The battery indicator said the batteries were good, but I don't know. I would have posted it if I could have. Now that it is on a stretcher, I will take a picture of the fur and post it.
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:19 pm

Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 9:16 pm

Put out 40 coyote sets today. Got rained,snowed and hailed on and got reminded how out of shape I am in. My butt is kicked... Going to be some sleepless nights till check day.
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 1:57 pm

Last edited by Cameron2 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 7:06 pm

I know thats what I'm hoping for. I'm sure that nvsage is hoping the same.
Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 7:58 pm

I sure hope so. One of my main locations I put in about 30 dirt holes and pre baited them. Almost all of them got hit and some you could see multiple coyotes had worked and left there calling cards. Wish I would have pre bait a lot more now that I see what the result is... real result will be first check.
Back to top Go down
bfflobo

bfflobo

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 8:29 pm

Goose hunter shot a coyote this morning in his decoys. Brought it to me. Big female. Not 100% ready but close enough. First on the board was a free one. Very Happy  I will wait until next week to set.
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 10:12 pm

We got a lot of snow in the mnts yesterday. We got a inch or so in the valley but the mountains look pretty white. I am guessing 6" or better.
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyThu Oct 31, 2013 12:44 am

The higher mountains have snow. From where I'm trapping, I can see lots of snow on the mountains in Nevada to the south. Checked traps today and had bait from 3 dirtholes stolen. The traps were froze down and coyotes walked on them and they didn't go off (maybe too much dirt over them). When I set them it was bone dry and dusty.
When I unloaded the fourwheeler, it was 24 degrees at 8am and this evening when I loaded back up it was 37 degrees at 6pm. I believe it was the coldest I've been fourwheeling in. Guess its time to break out my Alaska Arctic gear. I'll be setting a ranch on Friday, and hopefully the damp ground from the rain day before yesterday will have dryed some. Lots of fox to catch.
Back to top Go down
coloradocat

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... EmptyFri Nov 01, 2013 11:13 pm

Set marten traps today, and just was not any fun. We have like jan. conditions right now. Crotch deep snow, bitter cold, tree branch avalanches. My attitude will change on the check.

Sage, let me know how you like the new boards, I used them last year and really like them. Word of advice, on big coyotes, put a half inch wedge in the nost piece and will flatten those heads of big stinkers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Started.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Started....   Started.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Started....
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bobcats R Us :: Trapping-
Jump to: