Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums
Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums
Bobcats R Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bobcats R Us

Bobcat Trapping, Hunting, Predator Calling, Fishing

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Trapline details

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
hezzy

Trapline details Empty
PostSubject: Trapline details   Trapline details EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 9:29 pm

I'm getting excited to start trapping! I know quite a few of you have started already but down in the lower elevations we're still waiting for cold weather!

I've always wondered how other trappers manage their lines such as how many miles you travel to reach your trapline, then how long your line is. also when do you plan on running your lines?

I'll drive my truck 37 miles then unload the 4 wheeler and ride it another 6 miles to my line. My first line will be strung out over a 5-6 mile loop. I've scouted an area that has great sign and most likely has little pressure but its close to fifty miles of rougher dirt road to the area. So far I haven't talked myself into setting it up, someday I'm sure I will.

I work 4-10's so I plan on hitting the line every few days and shifting traps/scouting new territory on weekends I'm not oncall. The times I'll have to check at night after work will be a cold SOB!!

I'm guessing my line will take me 3-4 hours to run each time. dependant on re-makes of course.

Also how many of you run your lines at night? because of work or other obligations.

Fill in your details If you'd like. The planning is part of the fun!
Good luck everyone!

Thanks,

Kyle
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

Trapline details Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trapline details   Trapline details EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 11:13 pm

Kyle,

Sometimes you just go for it partner. My loop last year was 325 miles. It took anywhere from 12-14 hrs to cover twice a week. If you got good country set it up and ask questions later! yeah sometimes I end up in the dark at night but I am in the dark in the morning too? Good headlamps are a must for sure. Make sure your quad is set up well with all that you will need and good equipment and good tires. Real pain in the butt fixing a flat with cold fingers and cold pumps. I scout every time I go out to check. So set it up and check new country as you go. Good luck partner.

Back to top Go down
moneyspots

moneyspots

Trapline details Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trapline details   Trapline details EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 1:16 am

Kyle,

I agree with Matt. Go for it. Last year I ran 2 lines. One was about a 300 mile round trip and I did this for 2 months. I also work 4 10s and used leave on the week days that I needed to check on. My other line was close to home and I ran it a night. I used to hate checking in the dark but got used to it after a while. Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

Trapline details Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trapline details   Trapline details EmptySat Nov 29, 2014 3:07 am

One of the ways that I help manage my trap line is with organization. It allows me to really pound in some sets quickly and efficiently. I bought one of Andy Weisers Predator bags this year and am really liking it. Some may call me anal but bare with me for a minute on this one..... I spent $20 on some Nalgene sample containers that we use at my work for storing 94% sulfuric acid in. I bought the 500ML (pint) ones to store my bait in and some 8oz for my lure. They came in different colors with red lids. I put my lures and baits into the containers and then put some different colored electrical tape on my bait containers and then wrote on the red lids of then 8oz jars of what lures were inside.This also made it nice to have 8oz of lure on hand and just refilled as needed. This allows me to never be fumbling through my bag looking for the lure or bait that I want. I also put electrical tape on my urine bottles as well (got this from Bob Wendits DVD) Green is coyote urine and Orange is fox urine.
Trapline details 609988C3-F0F7-47DA-9557-570EDBB07DCA_zpsrueoopel

Anyways I know that this isn't exactly on topic with the miles or time spent on the trapline but is just as important IMO. Good luck to everyone as the cat season is almost upon us!!!
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

Trapline details Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trapline details   Trapline details EmptyTue Dec 02, 2014 12:42 pm

I agree on being organized for sure!! Good luck to all out there and be safe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Trapline details Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trapline details   Trapline details Empty

Back to top Go down

Trapline details
Page 1 of 1