Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums
Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums
Bobcats R Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bobcats R Us

Bobcat Trapping, Hunting, Predator Calling, Fishing

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!

Go down 
+6
ridgeback740
bullschmidt
huntandfish
nvsage
BUCKSNBOWS
Cameron2
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Cameron2

URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! Empty
PostSubject: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 1:55 pm

So you all remember last week when I reported about a dog allegedly being caught in a trap . . . and how Channel 13 (the anti's channel of choice) ran a story about it . . . and how the story didn't really make sense?

Well, turns out there was a WHOLE LOT MORE TO THE STORY.

The story was about a lady named Rhea Little who claimed her dog was caught while she was hiking near Cold Creek recently. The story included interviews from Stephanie Meyers, an animal rights activist who lives in Las Vegas. The story said nothing about 911 being called, or the presence of BLM rangers or what really happened that day.

What REALLLY HAPPENED is a female trapper named Shannon Ireland on Sunday Feb. 16 was with a girlfriend and they were checking some traps she had set along FS Road 501 several miles from Cold Creek and they came upon two people in the process of stealing her traps. There was a man there named Joel Axberg and a lady named Rhea Little. Shannon had several traps stolen previously in the area and was very upset about it. Shannon immediately dialed 911 on her cell phone and BLM rangers were dispatched to the scene. In the meantime Joel Axberg walks out of the bushes carrying Shannon's trap (as you know, it is a misdemeanor to tamper with a legally set trap). Shannon then confronted the man (who had a dog) about stealing her trap. Shannon says the situation then got very chaotic with Rhea Little screaming at the women trappers and Axberg swinging the trap by its chain at Shannon. Shannon said she kept backing up and backing up and was very afraid of being injured or killed by the swinging trap. Also, both parties were armed. Like most trappers, Shannon carries a firearm to dispatch wild animals caught in a trap. Axberg was also armed with two handguns.

Axberg and Little got into their truck and attempted to leave the scene even though they knew law enforcement was called. Shannon told Axberg, the driver, that he better not drive off with her trap because it was stealing. At that point four BLM rangers arrived. Shannon said Axberg immediately changed his demeanor at this point and was very cooperative. The BLM rangers forced Axberg to return Shannon's trap and had both parties exchange contact information.

So now with that little background information . . . fast forward to the Channel 13 news story where a dog allegedly got caught in Shannon's trap. No mention is made by the reporters that Shannons traps were stolen by Axberg and Little, or that Axberg assaulted Shannon. No mention is made of the BLM law enforcement officers compelling Axberg to return the stolen traps. The ONLY THING THE NEWS REPORTED is that a dog got caught in a trap.

Now, do you want to hear the kicker? Shannon called NDOW to arrange a time to come down and file a complaint about her traps being stolen, and tampered with. Guess what? The warden on the phone said a meeting wasn't necessary and that he would just take a report over the phone. After hearing Shannon's story, the warden indicated that NDOW wouldn't be prosecuting this story because it sounded like "just a he said, she said" story.

So there you have it -- if you accidently catch a dog (there is no evidence Shannon caught anyone's dog) then you can expect to be made a public villain. But if someone steals your traps, or tampers with your traps, or threatens you with bodily injury while you are trapping -- expect no help from NDOW.

Now if you are as upset about this miscarriage of justice as I am, then you can do a couple things. First, you can contact Mike Maynard. He's the Lt. (i.e. top ranking) Game Warden here in southern Nevada and express your concern about NDOW's lack of response to this situation. Warden Maynard's email is mmaynard@ndow.org or you can call the Vegas office at (702) 486-5127. Second, you may want to also talk to the Chief of Law Enforcement, Rob Buonamici. His email address is rbuonamici@ndow.org and his phone number is (775) 688-1540. If you like, you can keep climbing the organizational ladder and talk to Tony Wasley. He's the director (or head) of NDOW. His email address is twasley@ndow.org. When contacting NDOW, be polite, but also be insistent that this appears to be a case of selective law enforcement. If any case calls for prosecution, this one does. Here, BLM law enforcement were eye witnesses to the theft, and the fact that they compelled Axberg to give the trap back is prima facie evidence that he stole it! If NDOW is going to turn a blind eye to situations like this, then it will lead to potentially deadly situations where trappers will have to use deadly force to protect themselves and their property. I thought that's what we paid our tax dollars for????

Another point that shouldn't be lost --- this situation is EXACTLY why we oppose trap registration. If armed thieves like Axberg and Little have access to a trapper's contact information, what would they do with it? And if NDOW isn't going to enforce trap theft or tampering, why should we be forced to register our traps? Axberg's actions when he met Shannon Ireland constitutes an assault with intent to inflict bodily harm. A steel trap being swung by it's chain with a steel grappling hook at the other end is a deadly weapon. If struck by a swinging trap or grappling hook a person could be seriously injured or killed.

It appears that there are some individuals in Southern Nevada who do not like trapping and because of this they have taken it upon themselves to patrol back roads looking for traps to disturb and steal. And to confront trappers. That this Joel Axberg man was heavily armed is very troubling. His partner, Rhea Little, was heard screaming that she was in the PETA organization and didn't eat meat and she intended to find and steal every single trap. Law enforcement needs to investigate this situation very carefully to determine what laws were broken and to take appropriate action. Shannon Ireland said that some of the situation that occurred before the officers arrived was recorded on the 911 call she made.

It was very fortunate that no one was seriously injured or killed in this situation. While Shannon Ireland has a very valid reason for carrying a firearm as a trapper, what reason does Joel Axberg have for packing two pistols? The only reason someone was not seriously hurt was because Shannon Ireland kept her cool and kept backing up as Axberg came after her with the swinging trap. Shannon works at a law firm and her husband is a police officer and I think this background helped her deal with this volatile situation. The next time there is a confrontation like this between trap thieves and lawful trappers, we probably will not be so lucky.

As Paul Harvey used to say, "there you have THE REST OF THE STORY."

Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 2:20 pm

Sure is nice to get the REST OF THE STORY !!!!! You can bet that I will contact each one and make sure my voice is heard!!! As Tracy points out be polite but firm on how you feel these actions should have been handled!!!
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks much B & B. Its important that EVERYONE make contact with NDOW -- just the way the antis always do.

As trappers, we are always playing defense -- we are always responding to the actions of the antis, legislators, or even the Wildlife Commission. Well, here's our chance to finally play offense. We get to take the fight to them. This can be a great opportunity for us to fight for trappers' rights, defend our property, and show why trap registration is a bad idea -- all at the same time.

But nothing will happen unless we make contact with NDOW. If we just all wait for someone else to take action, or to make the calls, then we will have squandered an opportunity.
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 2:37 pm

Ok I sent email to all 3 contacts Tracy listed. I was polite but firm in the action I felt they needed to take. Also reminded them it wasen't here say and they had witnesses to back up info. Also some recordings from 911 call.
So our turn now to get after it and make there emails go crazy and know that we are serious about taking the RIGHT actions on this issue!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 7:23 pm

Ok gentlemen and women we need to fire this thing up!!!!!!!!!! Don't let this slip right by. It needs our attention and action!! Make sure you contact the info Tracy posted and be polite and respectful when you send and make sure you get your point across!!!! Here is the deal The first 5 people to send emails to all of them and respond back to this page get a free shirt! Now lets make this happen like yesterday!!!!

Thanks for your attention and help in this serious issue.
Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 10:17 pm

Emails sent. Really hope they follow up on this one.
Back to top Go down
huntandfish

huntandfish

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 12:10 am

Emails sent. Why is the real story not being reported on by another news station?
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 12:42 am

News station that reported it I am sure is a liberal station.!!! Ok #2 on shirts is on the books! Thanks Huntnfish.
Back to top Go down
bullschmidt

bullschmidt

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 1:49 am

Well I have thrown my 2cents at NDOW..
I hope it was pointed enough that they get the Point... Mad 
Tracy I should send you a copy and you tell me what you think..
Cuz U gots more book smarts than Me.. You know how us Pahrumpkins is.. LOL
Back to top Go down
bullschmidt

bullschmidt

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 2:02 am

Hey H&F
The Real Story has No Knee Jerk Reaction ... No Bleeding Hearts..
It could have had a Good Old Bully Beat Down... That would have been Cool..
Unfortunately It would just show that Most Trappers are Law Abiding Citizens ..
And Anti's are Dirt Bag Criminals...
That just won't gather folks around the Tube away from " So you Think You can Dance"
Or some similar Drivel on the Tube... just sayin
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 9:47 am

Thanks Bull !!! #3 on the books for a shirt.
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 11:59 am

Here was my email to the NDOW Director.  My email to Chief of Law Enforcement was almost the same.  In my email to the warden, I expressed my disappointment in his poor choice in this matter.

Mr. Tony Wasley

As the Director of NDOW, I am very unhappy with the outcome of Joel Axberg-Rhea Little and a Sharron Ireland incident.

According to your regulations, it is against the law for anyone to disturb the trap of a lawful licensed trapper.  

From all the information I have gained from my investigation of this incident, a trap was not only disturbed, but if BLM Rangers hand not intervened, it would have been stolen, thus a second criminal offense committed.

It appears that there was selective enforcement of the regulations occurred in this situation and that is not acceptable.

NDOW's reputation can be seriously damaged if this is allowed to occur.  The cooperation of the sportsmen of Nevada will start to doubt the outcome of reporting incidents to you and as I've said before, this can be very damaging.

I do hope you will look into this and resolve it properly as it should have been done when it was reported to your department.

In case you are unaware of this, Warden Maynard was the warden contacted in this case and it appears that he failed in enforcing the regulations as it was relayed to me he believed it was a "He said, She said" incident.  If he would have contacted the BLM Rangers and got a statement from them, I believe he would have second thoughts on this matter.

Please look into this and I would appreciate a response from you in this matter.

Steven Hightower

retired Deputy Sheriff
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks Ridge! #4 in shirts logged in! One left?????
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 12:39 pm

Matt:

Thanks again for the shirt donations. You're a good man . . . I don't care what Gregg thinks!!
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 3:42 pm

I just received a response from the Chief of Security. He stated that this incident is an open and on-going investigation, and they plan to pursue this issue. He also stated that interviews were being conducted and they would proceed on the facts of this incident.
I really hope they do this, and I will be depending on the local guys to keep us all informed.

Steve
ridgeback740
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 4:07 pm

Steve:

Got word from other trappers that they had received similar emails so I think the pressure is starting to have some effect. Thanks again for your help!
Back to top Go down
ndowEnforcement

ndowEnforcement

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 4:14 pm

Greetings,

I have received several emails from a variety of individuals regarding an incident involving trappers and non-trappers that occurred last month near Cold Creek Nevada. There appears to be some confusion over how state game wardens are handling the situation. The first time game wardens were made aware of the incident when I checked my voice mail on the morning of Monday March 3, 2014. A voice mail was left on Saturday March 1, by a trapper involved in the incident. After listening to the message I notified our Southern Region Lieutenant and an investigation was initiated.

At this time we are conducting an investigation into the incident. We have no idea where the facts will take us but our investigation will and must be based on facts.

I would like to thank everyone for their patience and allow us time to investigate a matter that we just learned about yesterday.

Thank you:
Rob Buonamici - Chief Game Warden
Nevada Department of Wildlife
Law Enforcement Division
Back to top Go down
http://www.ndow.org
Cameron2

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 4:43 pm

Thanks Chief Buonamici. We appreciate your response.

And you are the fifth responder so that entitles you to a free T-Shirt! Very Happy Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 5:45 pm

I got he same response in an email. Glad to see they are following up on it. Thanks for the heads up Tracy.
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 7:56 pm

Sure is good to get a response from them and I hope they do there best to resolve the situation!!!
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 7:59 pm

The above response is word for word, exactly the one I received. You think there was a bunch of us sending emails and he just gave us all a blanket response?
Back to top Go down
huntandfish

huntandfish

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 8:54 pm

I also got same response from Rob. Seems as if he just found out about the incident.
Back to top Go down
huntandfish

huntandfish

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 9:00 pm

NDOW wildlife commission meeting is this Saturday at NDOW office at 1:30 right?
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 9:15 pm

ridgeback740 wrote:
The above response is word for word, exactly the one I received.  You think there was a bunch of us sending emails and he just gave us all a blanket response?  

I'm still going with my initial theory that he wants one of Matt's free T-shirts.
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 9:15 pm

huntandfish wrote:
NDOW wildlife commission meeting is this Saturday at NDOW office at 1:30 right?

Yes!!!!
Back to top Go down
hezzy

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 9:21 pm

So do we keep sending E-mails? I was gonna get my family from utah to chip in.

Back to top Go down
Cameron2

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 9:32 pm

Yes, please provide your input. I feel confident NDOW will do the right thing but we should let them know of our concerns. This isn't the garden variety instance of someone finding a trap they thought Jim Bridger left behind. As I read the facts, these are Eco-terrorists, actively looking for traps, packing weapons, and willing to confront trappers with physical threats. If we don't stand together in those instance, we can expect further harassment.
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 9:32 pm

Huntandfish that is correct. I plan on going and I hope others do too!!
Back to top Go down
kcmendy

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyTue Mar 04, 2014 10:03 pm

Sent this and hope for a reply even though I can't make the meeting on Saturday.

Dear Sir,

I have read a report that a female trapper in the Spring Mountains had a trap removed by Joel Axberg. I have also learned that Mr. Axberg swung the trap on it's chain threatening Mrs. Ireland with bodily injury. My problem with this is that personel on the ground returned the stolen trap to it's rightful owner and no charges where filed. I plan on getting back into trapping next year and am wondering if this is what I should expect from the NDOW employees in my area. I would surely like an answer from you before I buy my trapping license (which funds the NDOW) for the coming trapping season.

Kelley Mendenhall

4321 Jessica St.

Pahrump, Nv 89048
Back to top Go down
bullschmidt

bullschmidt

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 12:42 am

I received the same response from NDOW as is posted here..
I agree with you Tracy ... He wants a Patriot Graphics Shirt...
But shoot who could blame him.. cheers 
B&B.. "U the Man"..
Back to top Go down
harrishawker1

harrishawker1

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 1:53 am

Good looking out Tracy
I hope there's some kinda charges filed.
This could of ended very badly.
Back to top Go down
hezzy

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 9:04 am

I've got my emails in!

Hopefully I sound somewhat knowledgable. Not like some hick from the sticks on a rant!!

I'll try to get family to chip in. Couldn't hurt!
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! EmptyWed Mar 05, 2014 10:14 am

Thanks everyone for your support and helping back this fellow trapper UP!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!   URGENT II -- Update and call to arms! Empty

Back to top Go down

URGENT II -- Update and call to arms!
Page 1 of 1