Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums
Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums
Bobcats R Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bobcats R Us

Bobcat Trapping, Hunting, Predator Calling, Fishing

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hey, look what we did!!!

Go down 
+2
harrishawker1
Cameron2
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cameron2

Hey, look what we did!!! Empty
PostSubject: Hey, look what we did!!!   Hey, look what we did!!! EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 10:31 am

The RJ opinion writer had to do a follow up, probably because he got overwhelmed by trappers! Probably because his bosses aren't as prejudiced and ignorant as he is!!

Anyway, kiddos to all of you who wrote.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/columns-blogs/john-l-smith/stepping-trappers-toes-comes-some-catchy-criticism
Back to top Go down
harrishawker1

harrishawker1

PostSubject: Re: Hey, look what we did!!!   Hey, look what we did!!! EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 11:27 am

I don't see it like u do Tracy
I truly believe he is poking insults at all trappers.
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

PostSubject: Re: Hey, look what we did!!!   Hey, look what we did!!! EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 11:44 am

Vinnie:

He is poking insults at us Vinnie. Its what you do when you don't have facts, and you refuse to educate yourself about the facts. Its much easier to just make snarky remarks about something you don't understand and don't agree with. Its pretty easy to see Smith was compelled to write the follow up piece -- he didn't do it willingly. Someone put him up to it and adding the little trapping cartoon was his little temper tantrum of showing he wasn't happy about it.

But remember this: Smith's original article was really a call to action. He was trying to goad what he believed was "an army" of anti trappers into coming out and taking action in support of shorter visitation times. That was the whole purpose of his original article.

What he learned was that there was an army out there alright . . . an army of trappers and sportsmen. And they were angry. And they were educated. And they knew far more about the topic that he would ever know.

He also figured out that the "army" of anti trappers in Nevada can apparently all ride to the same meeting in one Toyota Prius. There is no army of anti-trappers; just the same old 6 misguided souls those of us in Nevada can name individually.

I didn't mean to imply that Smith has had a change of heart. He hasn't. He's still the same hack, which is why his writing has always been, and will always be, in the "opinion" section of the paper, where he doesn't have to justify what he writes or be held accountable for it. We have a long way to go, but if you are climbing a big mountain, it helps to stop every once in a while and survey your surroundings, and see how far you've come, before returning to the task of conquering the mountain.
Back to top Go down
bullschmidt

bullschmidt

PostSubject: Re: Hey, look what we did!!!   Hey, look what we did!!! EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 12:22 pm

It appears he received the Message..
Just maybe the Flintlock's and Coon Skin Cap's are a matter of Choice not Ignorance.. geek 
Keep up the fight Trappers we know it is not over..
Back to top Go down
harrishawker1

harrishawker1

PostSubject: Re: Hey, look what we did!!!   Hey, look what we did!!! EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 5:27 pm

Thanks for the clarification Tracy,
Also I hear he got a DUI?? and this is a guy writing articles about something he doesn't have any clue about,
thanks again,
vinnie
Back to top Go down
nvcatrapper

PostSubject: Re: Hey, look what we did!!!   Hey, look what we did!!! EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 8:08 pm

somehow I knew that turd was going to put me in the article.
Back to top Go down
kcmendy

PostSubject: Re: Hey, look what we did!!!   Hey, look what we did!!! EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 9:51 pm

Well, He didn't put me in the article, but he did reply to my email, which I consider a plus. He had to read my reply to his opinion piece to reply.

Kelley
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

PostSubject: Re: Hey, look what we did!!!   Hey, look what we did!!! EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 1:36 pm

Letters to the Editor supporting trapping continue to pour in. Here's another recent example:

Trap defense

To the editor:

Columnist John L. Smith’s recent commentary advocating legislation curtailing legal trapping of furbearers in Nevada is an insult to anyone informed in wildlife conservation and a thinly veiled attempt to conceal his own dislike of trapping (“Activists have yet to target trappers,” March 6 Review-Journal). We trust those in the place of media commentary to express facts in print and allow the public to be informed; unfortunately Mr. Smith is obviously biased.

As a young man, I actively trapped furbearers, and I am a lifelong hunter and outdoorsman. Feral dogs and cats in particular are extremely destructive to wildlife year round. Domestic pets allowed to roam free by irresponsible owners can quickly become effective predators themselves. Ask any wildlife officer, and they will acknowledge that a common housecat allowed to roam free will kill birds and mammals not only to satisfy hunger, but as a game or for enjoyment. I have witnessed packs of free-ranging domestic dogs run a healthy doe deer to death.

So when Fluffy or Fido wind up in a legal trapper’s trap, excuse me for not buying that it’s the trappers fault. A domestic pet doesn’t wind up in a trap unless it is poorly controlled or cared for.

Mr. Smith forgives me in his column if I didn’t know trapping still existed. Well, maybe he and the residents of the Spring Mountains or Lee Canyon weren’t aware, but trapping is legal and ongoing. No forgiveness needed here, Mr. Smith. He also implies trappers belong in coonskin caps and somehow drags the Second Amendment into the conversation. Get to the point Mr. Smith, show your true colors and tell us how you really feel about taking away our outdoor freedoms and traditions.

As an outdoorsman, I have witnessed rabies infecting furbearer populations when commercial fur prices dropped due to activism. I also have witnessed highways lined with road kill when animal populations soared due to urban sprawl and a lack of trapping activity.

Yes, I am an outdoorsman, the one who pays for wildlife conservation through license fees and taxes, as well as volunteering time for habitat. Yes, I have dispatched feral cats and dogs in the wild knowing I was doing the right thing, wishing I had not been put in that place by irresponsible owners. I have a house full of pets — cats, dogs, birds — but I also have the facts before I speak or act. Mr. Smith should get the facts, as well.

DAN ZELNA

LAS VEGAS
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

PostSubject: Re: Hey, look what we did!!!   Hey, look what we did!!! EmptyFri Mar 14, 2014 2:29 pm

Wow that is the guy we need at the Vegas meeting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hey, look what we did!!!   Hey, look what we did!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hey, look what we did!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bobcats R Us :: Trapping-
Jump to: