Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums
Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums
Bobcats R Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bobcats R Us

Bobcat Trapping, Hunting, Predator Calling, Fishing

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tips and Tricks

Go down 
+3
BUCKSNBOWS
chas4753
Cameron2
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Cameron2

Tips and Tricks Empty
PostSubject: Tips and Tricks   Tips and Tricks EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 2:04 pm

I thought since the season was over for most of us it would be educational to pass along any tips or tricks that you think others might benefit from. I've chatted by pm with several good trappers on this board and I know there is a wealth of knowledge here . . . so maybe everyone will share something.

Here are a couple of humble offerings.

1. I always boil and wax my traps in the spring, then store them in good sturdy containers in a clean (i.e. free from obnoxious odors) place. This way I can do my work when the temps are relatively mild, and allowing the waxed traps to sit during the summer allows the heat to thin the wax a bit.

2. For my fox traps, I use black landscaping fabric for pan covers. I cut all my pan covers and then submerge them in a gallon can of hot water that I have dissolved a couple pounds of salt in. I let them soak for a couple of hours and then pour off the water. I arrange the pan covers to dry and once they are dry, I put them gallon zip lock bags. The fabric material absorbs minute amounts of salt so the pan cover material does not freeze. Granted, they won't keep freeze proof in subzero weather, but in my Fall trapping conditions, I usually don't need much antifreeze to keep traps working well.

3. For big coon and canine catches, you can't beat pre-baiting. I take a pound of bacon, grind it, then put it in a deep pot with a couple of big tubs of lard. Cook the whole mess down so the bacon odor/flavor permeates the melted lard. Let it cool a bit, then dump in some cooking oil so the whole mess won't go solid on you. Add a bit of honey or moleasses if you want. Now take a smooth stake and pound a hole in a potential set location. Pour enough of your bacon/lard/oil mess in to fill the hole. I then GPS each of these locations. Wait a week and come back to see if the hole has been "hit." If critters have found your hole, you will know in a hurry -- it will look like a bomb went off. Now all you have to do is come back opening day to each one of these "hot" locations and put in a good dirthole, baited with some ground bacon bait and you're in business.
Back to top Go down
chas4753

chas4753

Tips and Tricks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips and Tricks   Tips and Tricks EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 12:46 pm

Nice, like the idea of hot locations. Will use that next year. just completed my 3rd year of trapping and got a $700 cat this year. looking forward to some more ideas. thanks to all.
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Tips and Tricks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips and Tricks   Tips and Tricks EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 1:26 pm

Here's a good deer and cattle resistant set for canines that I learned from master trappers Joe Bennett and Billy Taylor, so if you trap where there are lots of deer or cattle, give this a try.

First, dig a deep vertical hole . . . . something on the order of 8-10" diameter and 16-20" deep. Right next to that hole, dig down about 8" and create shelf big enough to put your trap of choice. Bed and stake a trap here. Now take a good smelly bait . . . maybe some fish or beaver or bobcat meat in an empty soup can with the top bent over so the flies and whatnot don't get into it.

So here's a photo of the basic set with the camera lens representing where the trap pan would go.

Tips and Tricks DSC_6749

The idea is that deer and cattle don't particularly like to step in deep holes so they may come right up and sniff in your hole, but they usually won't step down onto the pan of the trap. It works great.

I went out last summer and made a few of these sets (without the traps, of course) and put some trail cameras on them so I could see what the critters would do. These are videos so click on the image to make it play.

Tips and Tricks Th_Perfect

Tips and Tricks Th_Daytimefox

If you like seeing canines with both front feet caught, you'll like this set.

Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Tips and Tricks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips and Tricks   Tips and Tricks EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 1:41 pm

Here's another trick to try if you want to set a trap in a location but have that sneaking suspicion that someone may happen by and try to steal your trap.

First, set up your trap with multiple swivels, a long chain or cable, and weld all the connection points (i.e. weld all the j-hooks closed after they are attached to your trap, chain or cable). The last connection on the fastening end of the chain or stake should be onto a large metal washer. (See the photo). Weld all the connection points. The idea is not to create any weak spots along the way where potential thief could pry open a j-hook or something like that.

Tips and Tricks DSC_1900

In western cat trapping, many sets are under ledges, against structure or in boulder fields. Use this to your advantage. Get some 1/2" concrete anchor bolts and a 1/2" masonry bit. With your cordless drill, drill a hole in the rock or ledge.

Tips and Tricks DSC_1907

Now insert your concrete bolt in the hole and pound it in tight with your hammer or a rock.

Tips and Tricks DSC_1909

Tips and Tricks DSC_1913

I would suggest that you use chain instead of cable. I had a thief break the 1/8" cable I used in these photos by smashing it between rocks until he could eventually break it. Unknown to him, he was on a trail camera the whole time and is now facing felony charges, but that's another story.

This method isn't 100% theft proof -- nothing I've found so far is, and it certainly doesn't stop a thief from stealing the animal out of your trap, but if you have a good location and you don't want to lose a trap, this might be something to consider using.

I have three of these locations that I set year after year and I just leave the traps there in the off-season, hidden under a couple big rocks. If you want to remove the trap, just take a wrench of the appropriate size and remove the bolt.
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

Tips and Tricks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips and Tricks   Tips and Tricks EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Wow now that is some thinking and planning for sure!! Great Ideas out there for sure!. I guess one tip I can share is never tell your locations to anybody!!! Friend, Family or Foe. Only your trusted help or Wife should know your locations. It only takes one slip of the tounge to ruin a great trapline. I always study the map and come up with other locations that I tell people and that eases there curosity. I also never tell the amount of animals that I am catching. only at the end sometimes to certain people. I have learned the hard way and trust me it is worth it not to tell !!!!! Now with cat prices high watch out for sure!!
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

Tips and Tricks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips and Tricks   Tips and Tricks EmptyWed Mar 20, 2013 4:59 pm

Well with the pressure from Cameron2 Here is another. The stepping guide or crowd in front and back of a walkthru set are very important. Make sure that there is at least a palm width of sticks/rocks placed in front and back of the set. Nothing worse that a cat walking tru your set and not getting caught. Don't use sticks that are too big and round because the cat will just stand on them. Make sure the rocks are pointed and not nice to stand on. You really can't overdue it. Then when all done stand back and make sure its a easy approach from either side. No angles , no drop down. Just flat, straight and ready for fur in the pan!![img]Tips and Tricks Dscn0510[/img]
Back to top Go down
trapper76

trapper76

Tips and Tricks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips and Tricks   Tips and Tricks EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 3:56 pm

I love all these tips. Keep them coming guys! I need to learn all I can. Just one question Cameron2. What approximate ratio of cooking oil to lard/bacon does it take to keep it from going solid again?
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Tips and Tricks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips and Tricks   Tips and Tricks EmptyFri Mar 22, 2013 4:23 pm

I dunno . . . I just guestimate. It depends on outside temps, etc. Err on the side of using more cooking oil than less.
Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

Tips and Tricks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips and Tricks   Tips and Tricks EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 11:56 pm

Cameron2 do you think that step down set would work on coyotes as well? I can't seem to keep the cows from messing up my sets in Febuary when the ranchers bring in the cows. I know they sure like to look at every badger hole they come by.

Also do you always leave the the excess spring pins on your 550s. I cut all the ones I bought last year as MTP recomended. I have heard that they bed much easier when left on?
Back to top Go down
mailman

mailman

Tips and Tricks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips and Tricks   Tips and Tricks EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 11:10 am

Cameron2, would it make any difference if a person would fry the bacon first then grind up fine and add to lard along with the bacon grease and then veg. oil? Sounds like something I'm going to try either way this fall thanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

Tips and Tricks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips and Tricks   Tips and Tricks EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 11:35 am

I think if I fried the bacon first that not much would make it into the lure bucket!!! HaHa Smile
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Tips and Tricks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips and Tricks   Tips and Tricks EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 12:31 pm

NVSage:

Works great on coyotes as well. They work it just like the fox did. Somewhere I have video of coyotes working a hole too but can't put my hands on it right now.

BB, I'm with you . . . you can cook the bacon however or whenever you want, but I'd be too tempted to eat it if I just fried it up. The point is to saturate the lard and cooking oil with the bacon smells and tastes. Good cheap sausage will do the same thing but its pretty hard to come by in the city supermarkets nowadays . . . they want to add all the foo foo stuff to it now and sell it in smaller quantities at a higher price.
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Tips and Tricks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips and Tricks   Tips and Tricks EmptyMon Mar 25, 2013 12:53 pm

Tom Krause did a little DVD a while back on cat trapping. He referred to a study which indicated cats see certain colors better than others, with green and blue being two colors that cats see better than say, white or red. I have since done a little research and confirmed Tom's references to these studies. But I didn't really do much about it other than chalk it up to one more little fact that I knew about cats.

Then last year a good friend of mine (who I highly respect) told me that he had started using silver and blue Christmas tinsel near his cat sets and had remarkable success. I tried it myself this year and it just seemed that nearly every successful cat set had a piece of blue/silver tinsel nearby. Just sayin.

Tips and Tricks 6fa6cbd9-fc59-48f6-8797-8f3eeb51d75f_zps79ea0948

Tips and Tricks Caff8d8c-4349-4df7-b608-b529480744c6_zpsd950a38f

Tips and Tricks Minetop_zps4089ad07

Tips and Tricks DSC_5067_zpsee1fd698
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Tips and Tricks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips and Tricks   Tips and Tricks EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 2:52 pm

I have never found a canyon that had consisten populations of chukar and quail where I couldn't catch a bobcat. That said, when you find good bird populations, get some cheap wild bird food from the store when its on sale and spread it around in those spots to keep the birds there. Having good populations of birds will pay big dividends when it comes trapping season.
Back to top Go down
Cameron2

Tips and Tricks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips and Tricks   Tips and Tricks EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 5:44 pm

How many times have you thought about improving your lure holder when trapping cats? You want something that will absorb a good lure, allow you to place it right where you want it, be convenient to use, maybe even have some eye appeal to it, and allow you to hang it where it will catch the wind currents? You get tired of looking for the right sized stick; they are always breaking off in your lure jar and making a mess; I would venture to guess we have all had these kind of thoughts.

Well, next time you are in the supermarket and you're over by the "Femine Needs" isle, look for the small white tubes filled with cotton and encased in a small white cardboard tube . . . with a string on the end. They are practically perfect lure holders!! The string gives you something you can tie up and the lure is kept sheltered from the elements. They are even a visual attractor of sorts. Just make sure you get the generic, unscented variety.
Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

Tips and Tricks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips and Tricks   Tips and Tricks EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 9:31 pm

The things we do to catch critters! LOL
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

Tips and Tricks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips and Tricks   Tips and Tricks EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 11:19 pm

I have found that adding a little liquid smoke to the bacon grease and lard makes the smell last a little longer when it gets cold.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tips and Tricks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tips and Tricks   Tips and Tricks Empty

Back to top Go down

Tips and Tricks
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bobcats R Us :: Trapping-
Jump to: