Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums
Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums
Bobcats R Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bobcats R Us

Bobcat Trapping, Hunting, Predator Calling, Fishing

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

end of season results

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
hucklebeary

end of season results Empty
PostSubject: end of season results   end of season results EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 11:54 pm

end of season results 58112

Ended up with 72 beavers, 4 otters, 8 bobcats, 5 coyotes, 4 mink, 2 stinkers, 5 muskrat, 1 weasel, 6 coons, and myslf in a 280 coni.....thumb nail is just about off now.ouch. Sorry for the bad pic
Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 10:29 am

Hell of a run man!! Congrats!
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 10:46 pm

Great job Huck. Nothing like a catch all for sure!!!
Back to top Go down
hucklebeary

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 11:56 am

I really got to figure out these bobcats here in the Pac NW. There is a ton of them red swamp cats but they dont like going into my cages. I got tons of bait but it must be the wrong kind. See tracks around cages but they have commitmet issues. Going to try just scents instead of bait. Any idears?
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 12:28 pm

Out west we dont use cages much. We just find there travel routes and get in there way with a leghold trap. Can you use leghold traps in your area?? If so I can send you some pics that might help with your cometment issues! Ha Ha.
Back to top Go down
hucklebeary

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 1:08 pm

cant use legholds here in WA. I set up on trails and toliets mostly but i dont have any pics of my sets. I catch a few but they must be the dumb ones. Looking into moving to Colorado to live but I think you need cages there too. One thing will be for certain, Colorado wont be as brushy as Washington......a least I hope.
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 1:40 pm

Try some kind of flag or movement inside to draw them in? Scent instead of bait might make them more curious. Make the front in to a V to funnel them in?
Back to top Go down
hucklebeary

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 2:55 pm

I have done all that but i was thinking the same thing about the bait. There is no shortage of food for them here so maybe scent is the trick. I tell you what there is not much more frustating than moving a toliet into your cage and come back and there is a fresh turd 8 inches in front of your cage. Oh well its a learning curve and you cant catch them all.
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 5:02 pm

Try a little dab of skunk on a piece of fake fur or real if legal. Then hang it in the back and block off the back so they have to go in to investigate??
Back to top Go down
hucklebeary

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks i will try that. Going to do some investigating with trail cameras and find out what smell they like. If a guy could use legholds here he would catch a ton of them because they will go to a tree and eat beaver carcass but throw it in a cage they wont go in.....I am getting a complex over it
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 8:58 pm

I have tried tons of different scents. It just depends on the cats? They have to want to go and work the set or investigate the smell. I save the Pee from the cats I catch and the scat too. Some of the scents I make have both of them in there. Its a tough gig man and even tougher with cages. Just dont give up. Do you have any electronic calls? I have tried it all bud I am telling you. Sometimes things work awesome and the somtimes you think I will never catch anything.
Back to top Go down
hucklebeary

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 11:41 pm

From your lips to Gods ears.....by the time i lose hope and swear I am going to tear them out, I catch one. They keep me frustated but curious on what the secret to catch these swamp lovin red cats. I did use scat on a bunch of sets and caught 1 that way. Beaver caster has got some action too. I used a squawk box (electronic call) and caught an owl. I should try it again I suppose.
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 12:24 am

Try putting the call just outside the box to get them close. I think the skunk might be helpful for you. Way to hang in there bro.
Back to top Go down
IDdesertman

IDdesertman

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Nice catch Huck! I just moved from Idaho over to Western Oregon, man it is like a whole different world over here, I went from sagebrush flats to thick timber. Looking forward to figuring these coastal cats out and fortunately we can still use footholds here.
Back to top Go down
rockytrails

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 10:24 am

Are you using Mercer's cages? Doesn't matter, just curious. Cagingbobcats.com sells a video caging bobcats guaranteed success. It works, In a nutshell, he digs a hole under or in back of the pan and puts smells there. Then set the trap, then he mixes feathers and grass and throws it into the back of the cage (?feathers in WA), any kind of dangler in back of cage. Cover cage at least 2' all around and top (except front). if you use electronics probably high in a tree and out of sight. Doesn't sound like you need them. Need to keep there attention on the cage smells. Mercer caught 100+ cats last season in cages. He also has a new lead in scent out now. Lots of trail camera footage too. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
hucklebeary

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 1:51 pm

Yeah I have been using my own home made cages. Pretty crude but the door shuts fast and trigger pan lays flat. I wish I had mercer cages. I am going to buy that video too....I like the idea of digging a hole under the cage. I been hanging muskrat or beaver parts or cat scat in the back with danglers hanging above the cage on a limb. My cages are 13 inches wide 19 tall and 38 deep. Are these dimensions OK?
Back to top Go down
rockytrails

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Size looks good. is the pan about the middle? Also, he recommends no bait inside as the smelll of the bait if it gets on the front of the cage they may be satisfied and not enter. He has videos with bait and without covering cages but what I'm offering is info from his video and 2 of his demos from NTA conventions. The danglers could get the cats attention and should only be used if needed to draw them in if you're a little off location. He does use them in back of the cages always. I'd say cat scat in front of pan. The wife caught 2 toms in cages last winter but was just hobby trapping at her family ranch. I pretty much use footholds.
Back to top Go down
hucklebeary

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks Rockytrails for the info. The pan is about 20 inside the cage. Boy I wish I legally use footholds. I guess I should move to a state that I can.
Back to top Go down
rockytrails

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 8:44 pm

I'm curious. You using conibear or snares for your water stuff. Were the otter incidental to beaver? Your coyotes in cage? That's a good catch w/o footholds. Well, good catch anyway.
Back to top Go down
rockytrails

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 8:48 pm

Ok, I see the coni. seems weird to me coni is legal but no footholds. Coni in water only? Also, have you checked regs on private property? You may be able to use footholds on private property.
Back to top Go down
hucklebeary

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results EmptyMon Jun 18, 2012 10:04 pm

Using cages and swim throughs for the beavers and muskrats. The otters are happy accidents. Coyotes were called in and shot. We did use some damage permits which we can use coni's and padded footholds, but state makes us fill out a bunch of paperwork and then they get to tell us what we can use and how many of what we can catch. If we accidently catch a nutria instead of a beaver we have to call a game warden and have them remove the animal. It is a true pain in the arse. Cages work really good though, make a stream funnel down right into a swim through or put a walk in cage where a caster mound was then put mound in back of cage. I got the beaver part figured out it just those shifty roberts and oh yeah part of my thumb nail finally fell off....damn conibears
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: end of season results   end of season results Empty

Back to top Go down

end of season results
Page 1 of 1