Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums

Bobcats R Us

Bobcat Trapping, Hunting, Predator Calling, Fishing

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Sure is quiet out there.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ridgeback740

PostSubject: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:42 am

I guess everyone is busy with doing something. Haven't seen a post in 3 days.
Back to top Go down
jkelley

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:23 am

The weather's been nice. Been catching up on stuff that's been put off.
Back to top Go down
bill1306

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:40 am

It is that time of the year. Weather is improving and a lot of guys have forgotten that they even trap...lol
Back to top Go down
kkoch

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:06 am

Trying to get caught up and ahead on all the honey dos around the house as i leave next month and been trying to get her a turkey with her bow the last few days and working untill 5 or 6 mon thru fri it just doesnt seem like there are enough hours in the day to do everything
Back to top Go down
nvsage

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Have 2 jobs in the summer my regular mining job then I have my own delivery business where I deliver landscaping materials from my family rock yard. Keeps me damn busy during the summer months.
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:59 pm

Yep summer is getting here and people have moved on to the summer sports. Trapping was great to me this year and I got almost everything payed off!! Now looking for ski boat. Keep your eyes peeled out there.

Thanks, Bucks
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:32 pm

been working on getting the last of my traps dipped and put away for the summer, getting things lined out to get more cage traps, spending time fishing and riding in the rhino or 4 wheelers with the family, we all jumped on them today and went for a ride down to the river, showed the wife a cat track on a sand bar today, rolled out of bed at 3:30 today, hid eggs for the boy, went and checked wells, came home 4-wheeled, played basket ball, went fishing, now i am ready for bed
Back to top Go down
bill1306

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:06 pm

I was thinking this afternoon, I spent all winter in the fur shed and now trapping season has been closed for a while and all of my fur has been shipped and I'm still in the fur shed....lol Of course I am working on it getting it ready for this next season. As of this afternoon the fur shed is done and now it is time to move onto the fur tumbler....
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:19 pm

I am an addict! I'm addicted to trapping. I'll be driving down the road and see a spot I want to check and pull over to take a hike up to it. When I pull over (now after 31 years of marriage), the wife will look at me and say "You see a bobcat spot, and I'll say yes I believe I do." She understands that trapping season for me runs 12 months a year. I go to bed at night thinking of ways to improve the trapline or thinking of country I want to scout better. I am hopeless according to the wife, and she is usually right, and I'm thankful to be married to such an understanding wife. Every once in a while during the off season, I think about hunting, fishing and a few other things, but not all that often. I'll be fishing and see what looks like a good spot for a bobcat trap, and the fishing pole gets laid down and I'm off hiking up the mountain. I'll be hunting deer or elk and putting about 50% effort into it, and 50% effort into looking for bobcat tracks. Yes, I'm a trapping addict!
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:09 pm

well all my traps are dipped, pans and tension all adjusted and put up till this fall, now we are in hovering mode for 7 months
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:21 pm

I just received in the mail, 6 of the Wildlife Inovations Trail Cams. Can't wait to get them out and see whats moving around. Brings my trail cam total up to 8. Should be able to get a good idea whats out there by this next season.
Back to top Go down
nvsage

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Sending my scotugaurd back tomorrow.... worked well the first time out but wont even turn on now! Hope they replace it.
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:09 pm

Wow! Now you have me nervous. Since these didn't cost that much, I'm worried.
Back to top Go down
nvsage

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:05 pm

You are tellin me last thing I want to do is have to buy a new one. Sounds like it shouldnt be a problem to replace it though!
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:56 pm

If they have a good warranty then they should replace it. It probably costs a lot more than what I bought. These were $35.97 ea. and they only take pictures, no movies. They are also 2 mp, so photo quality isn't as good as a lot of the cams out there. All I want to know is if there are kittys or other wildlife running around where I am planning a line this coming season and if so, how many. I have a couple of cams that cost 4 to 5 times these new trail cams, so I just hope they last a while.
Back to top Go down
bill1306

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Just one bad battery out of the eight will not let the camera work.
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:10 pm

i am totally going thru withdraws, especially after the gear trip friday, been tinkering all weekend, come on November, i think i am a trapping addict
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Welcome to the club! I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing, but a person knows they are addicted if you are thinking about it all the time, and (sigh) I do. The wife says I'm hopeless and I have to agree with her. You know you are an addict when you get a break from normal life and you are thinking about trapping. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Kind of reminds me of Jeff Foxworthy and being a redneck, "You know you're a Trapping Addict if..........". Cory, don't feel bad, there are a lot of us out there to support your addiction. Have a great summer.
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:49 pm

yeah, i watch videos, tinker with traps etc... in the shop, think about locations and sets all the time, going to put out the camera and try a couple different lures i got and see what stops by, my wife says i am an addict, but man i love the thrill of the unknown when you get up and run the line, not knowing what is waiting for you or something new. mine was a red fox, only one i have ever saw out there, and the excitement last all season for me even when it gets slow
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Its like going on an Easter Egg hunt, only the eggs we find or catch are worth money. I know the feeling. I should have been a treasure hunter as that occupation is more like trapping than anything else I know.
Back to top Go down
bill1306

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:56 pm

After spending the last couple of days dodging tornadoes, quiet is a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:02 pm

yeah, seeing the radar and knowing about where you were at, we were wondering last night
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:04 pm

it rained so hard and fast down by ellis the water didnt even hardly soak in, just alittle muddy today, quite a bit in the ditches, saw some of the pictures on the net from down around there, looked like a rough night
Back to top Go down
bill1306

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:13 pm

The big one came right toward the house and then turned about ½ mile south of here and hit my neighbors. There were areas along the path of the twister that were over one mile wide. It was easy to follow its path. It sure did a lot of damage. We still have power lines down all over the country, but the line men are very good and they are busting their humps to get everyone back on. Big tornadoes like that one really scare the heck out of me now. I guess that I have seen too many of them and also the destruction that they can do.
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:16 pm

i dont like any tornado, glad to here everything is intact, were your neighbors ok, guess you can say the addition is storm tested now
Back to top Go down
bill1306

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:19 pm

No one got seriously hurt in that storm. There was enough advanced warning, besides everyone out here in the country uses their cell phones to warn their neighbors. The other thing that kept down the death rate here was, it happened before people normally go to bed.
Back to top Go down
bill1306

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:22 pm

I hate to think that we still have 1 ½ more months of our bad tornado season. We normally are finished with them by June. I hope that this year isn’t going to be like it was five years ago. Yesterday there were somewhere between 90-100 tornadoes in Kansas alone. I’m not sure what the limit on tornadoes is, but I think we were over our limit….
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:30 pm

man you would think we had the limit, hope that is it for a while
Back to top Go down
bill1306

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:34 pm

It would be nice if those were the last twisters for the season, but I doubt that it will be.
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:44 pm

i got a 7 month old car battery from my dad when ever i go get it for the winch
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:47 pm

You guys will have to post pictures the end results so we can all envy the skinners.
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:20 pm

my cat is done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! got a call from the taxidermist tonight
Back to top Go down
bill1306

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:21 pm

That is cool. Take a picture and post it when you pick it up.
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:22 pm

will do!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:11 pm

well boys, got my cat, first off, i have to say the second taxidermist did his best to fix the mistakes the first one made, ie.... tanning/ skinning. the hide had almost no stretch in it after was tanned by the first guy, secondly he said that the 1 1/2 it layed in the freezer exposed didin't help the ears ect..., so i got my cat back and i think he was more disappointed then me in the way it turned out, because i garantee i got the cheapest ever price on a cat mount, he did what he could, i knew this from the beginning, so dont be too rough

Back to top Go down
bill1306

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Cats are very difficult to mount. Few taxidermists are able to possession the eyes where they look real and the fur doesn’t always lay they way the taxidermist wants it to.
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:52 pm

The only person who needs to be happy is you BG. Mounts are in a way, like a picture. When you look at them, you remember the day when..........
That's all that is important. I have only seen about 8 to 10 bobcat mounts out of over 100, that I really liked. I worked for a taxidermist for a couple of years (part time), detailing capes, and learning to mount deer heads. It is a lot tougher than one would think to make them life like. He didn't like doing full body cat mounts (except for Mt. Lion), as they just never came out like he would like them to look. Nothing is so real as the live animal itself, so I take pictures and movies to remember. Besides, the wife gets real tired of dusting my mounts, and they are dust collectors.
Back to top Go down
bill1306

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:01 pm

I have had a few cats mounted over the years. Last year I had two life size mounts done and one rug. I have already sold the rug and one of the mounts and I still have one more mount to sell. I have a guy that is interested in it this summer when he is coming back to Kansas. The guy that I use to mount them is good at it. He is a lot better at other animals, but none the less he has a gift for mounting anything. One of the things that I have noticed over the years is I never have large cats mounted life size. They make good rugs, but the companies that build forms don’t make them big enough for our large bobcats. One other thing is females look better mounted than the toms normally do. The heads on the forms are normally narrow and not blocky like a toms head.
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:05 pm

i know what you mean about the head and body bill, that was the first thing i noticed, he was a true 30 lb tom, this is what he looked like the day i caught him, that is the picture i had invisioned

then

now
Back to top Go down
bill1306

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:44 pm

The first bobcat that I ever had mounted weighed 33 lbs and when I picked it up I was shocked. It was on a form for an 18 lb cat and that was the largest form the company made. It is still a very pretty cat, but I know how big it really was and how small it became after it was mounted. Anyone that had not seen it or a picture of it before it was mounted would think that it is a very nice cat. You never know what your mounts will be like until you pick them up. Thursday a taxidermist friend of mine is coming to my house for a couple of days of turkey hunting and he is bringing two turkeys that he has mounted for me. One Rio Grande turkey and the other one is an Osceola turkey I shot in Florida two years ago. I am looking forward to seeing both of them. This guy is very good at mounting any type of birds and I have seen pictures of the Osceola turkey and the both should look really good.
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:03 pm

Cool, you should e-mail me a pic of the turkeys so i can show them to the boy, so he knows what a rio and osceola look like please
Back to top Go down
bill1306

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:48 pm

I just mailed you a picture of it and a Rio in the back of the pickup last night. Check out the spurs on the tom.
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:57 pm

Driving back home to Idaho from North Dakota, I had to dodge a couple of different bunches of turkeys. One tom had to have had a good 10 beard. Montana has a bunch of turkeys across from Jordan to Big Timber. Also saw at least 1,000 head of elk and a few hundred deer. It was a good trip seeing all the wildlife.

Today did some scouting of a slow moving stream that ended up having a beaver dam about ever few hundred yards on it. Lots of mink tracks and the wife and I even saw a cow moose. I also found some cat sign too. All in all a great day.
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:13 pm

those are some awsome mounts, like the way the mount is layed out
Back to top Go down
utahcoyote
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:15 pm

I want to get a cat mounted one day. Tough to take a 500 dollar cat pay for the taxidermy and not turn out exactly like I want it.
Back to top Go down
http://bobcatsrus.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sure is quiet out there.   

Back to top Go down

Sure is quiet out there.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1