Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums
Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums
Bobcats R Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bobcats R Us

Bobcat Trapping, Hunting, Predator Calling, Fishing

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

more reading material

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bghunter119

Bghunter119

more reading material Empty
PostSubject: more reading material   more reading material EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 10:59 am

picked up some more reading material today, the more i know, the better i get (i hope)

more reading material Books
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

PostSubject: Re: more reading material   more reading material EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 1:01 pm

The material has to have pictures or I just don't read? Its good to study year round and yes you will always learn something new. Good luck with the neck issue.
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

Bghunter119

PostSubject: Re: more reading material   more reading material EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 2:18 pm

i read the entire jones book already today, it does have location and set pictures, so i liked it, LOL
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

PostSubject: Re: more reading material   more reading material EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Most of us are one of three types of learners. 1. Visual, those who can see something and then duplicate it. 2. Auditory, those who can be verbally instructed and then preform the task. And last, 3. Kinesthetic, a person who has to actually preform the task in order to achive the exact results you are looking for. I have found through instructing others that most people are 40% visual/40% kinesthetic and 20% auditory in how they learn. A "Train the Trainer" course I took years ago impressed upon me the "Tell, Show, Do" method of training. You tell someone how to do it, then you show them how to do it, then you have them do it. I found out I'm mostly a visual and kinesthetic learner. After I've seen it done and done it myself, I can then ask questions and do it again with them verbally instructing me to fine tune for the wanted results. I find I can pick things up pretty fast that way. With out instruction, I'm in the boat with most everyone else on the "Trial and Error System." Once a person has trapped for a while and has experience under their belt, you can read books or watch DVD's or VHS's and pick up on things pretty quick. But, I too, like most, like a good picture book when I'm trying to learn something. The day we stop learning is the day they are throwing dirt over the top of us.
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

Bghunter119

PostSubject: Re: more reading material   more reading material EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 11:14 pm

started on books and videos. thats how i learned to trap, have got some good advise here, and had a trapper who i think is pretty dang good become in my eyes my mentor, he doesnt tell me how to do it, but he points in the the general direction i need to go, and i have to learn the rest, thanks for the help, i apprieciate everyones contribution to the forum and like ridgeback says learning every day
Back to top Go down
nvsage

nvsage

PostSubject: Re: more reading material   more reading material EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 11:43 pm

Its kinda like what Slim Peterson says in his books and dvds , that he is actually taking away from us by helping us learn things faster, that we are able to skip so much trial and error stuff. Or something along those lines, you get the drift.But that definately stuck in my head when he said that. Also talks about how hard it can be and to never stop trying that things will get better, boy I live by that! Slims books are great as well if you havent read them yet. In the process of read O'gormans hoof beats a wolfer right now...man there is a lot of info in there...its like a history book on other trappers and trapping as well.
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

PostSubject: Re: more reading material   more reading material EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 11:57 pm

When I started trapping, about the only books I could find were the ones listed in Fur-Fish and Game. I had most all the books written by the Hardings. I once wrote to one of the Hardings who was living in British Columbia at a remote lake in a cabin. It took almost 4 months to get a reply, but he did reply and wrote me quite a lengthy letter. Gave me some real insight into living in the wilderness (which is what he was doing). Always thought I would like that type of lifestyle, but funny thing happened to me a little later in life.....I got married. That ended my dream of running a wilderness trapline and really living in the wild. After spending some years in Alaska, I'm glad she (the wife) came along. Alaska trappers have some of the toughest weather, terrain and conditions they run a trapline in and now I know that we have it made here in the lower 48. If you were to go into a wilderness area somewhere down here and run a trapline, it would come close, but would still be easier than up there in the cold frozen north. For one thing, down here we have a lot more daylight to run a line, up there you may have from none to 3 hrs of daylight. Now that I've somewhat gotten off subject, what I'm coming back to is: Experience is the best Teacher.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: more reading material   more reading material Empty

Back to top Go down

more reading material
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bobcats R Us :: Trapping-
Jump to: