Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums
Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums
Bobcats R Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bobcats R Us

Bobcat Trapping, Hunting, Predator Calling, Fishing

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Help

Go down 
+2
highmesacatter
kate12345
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kate12345

Help Empty
PostSubject: Help   Help EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 10:58 am

I have just started trapping cats and really don't have any idea what I am doing other than online research and asked a couple friends. I have seen cats numerous times chukar hunting up on my 1300 acres of private property that is beautiful cat country. Lots of rim rock and sage brush. I have four sets out, two cubby and two walk-through sets. I have seen some big cat tracks in the snow and some newer smaller ones. I am using bridger #3s with skunk lure. My sets are all under rim rock. We still have over a month of season left and I have had my sets out for just over a week now. What am I doing wrong? Suggestions! Help please.
Back to top Go down
highmesacatter

Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help   Help EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Be patient. The cats may not be staying in your area and traveling a large circuit. For example I have had sets out since the first week in December. I had set on cat sign and waited patiently a few days later the cat walked to the cage and passed on by. This last week another cat, I assume the same one, walked within ten feet of the set and kept on going. Two refusals about four weeks apart.. Frustrating to wait that long for the cat to come back and miss it a second time. Another thing you may be seeing is the breeding season kicking in with the varied track sizes. You may want to switch up a few sets to a gland lure and urine combo and just rely on the skunky stuff as a long distance call. Sounds like your in the right area, rimrock, edges of sage and cedars, washes, and ridge lines are the ticket, set on the tracks if possible. I have seen an increase in cat activity in the last week or so myself. I am no means an expert but my partner and I have caught a few cats this winter in cages. I wish I could use footholds still...
Back to top Go down
utahcoyote
Admin
utahcoyote

Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help   Help EmptyMon Jan 24, 2011 9:38 pm

Not only that but also realize it is the time of the year when things really shutdown.
Back to top Go down
https://bobcatsrus.forumotion.net
Bghunter119

Bghunter119

Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help   Help EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 8:52 pm

i think it is national shut down month everywhere, nothing in the cages for a couple weeks now
Back to top Go down
highmesacatter

Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help   Help EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 7:50 pm

One cat in the last weeek... it is slow for sure.. all the sign I was seeing kind of disappeared.... gotta love it.
Back to top Go down
utahcoyote
Admin
utahcoyote

Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help   Help EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 10:31 pm

still my favorite time of year though because any day now things could explode. I just hope it happens before the end of the season.
Back to top Go down
https://bobcatsrus.forumotion.net
highmesacatter

Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help   Help EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 9:22 pm

amen, almost 50 degrees today... way to hot. Storm front moving in monday... one set of tracks today.... its looking up..lol..lol..
Back to top Go down
yotehuntergreer

yotehuntergreer

Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help   Help EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 2:07 pm

Same here in very Northeast Utah, lots of sign, they appear to be pairing up, both sets of fresh tracks this morning showed pairs. Frustrating though, walking within 20 feet of my sets but not even stopping for a smell. I am going to try highmesacathunter's advice and use more cat urine, hopefully that will do the trick before Sunday the closer.
Back to top Go down
highmesacatter

Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help   Help EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 8:59 pm

I switched up and started calling, called in a nice 26 pound tom Sunday. He came in at 11 am, 15 steps from me. 17 fireball did the dirty deed. best cat of the year stretched out at 42 inches from nose to base of tail. Stay focused and be creative, the fur is there..
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help   Help EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 12:17 am

If you can when you are getting refusals, try setting trail snares coming in to your cat sets. I've done this and snared one cat and caught another in the trap when it hangs around for a while.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help   Help Empty

Back to top Go down

Help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bobcats R Us :: Trapping-
Jump to: