Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums
Bobcats R Us
Welcome To Bobcats R Us The Western Cat Trapping Capital.
Please logon or register to access all the forums
Bobcats R Us
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bobcats R Us

Bobcat Trapping, Hunting, Predator Calling, Fishing

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Releasing Bobcats

Go down 
+9
ridgeback740
Tomcat
sixbits
Dawgz
bill1306
rouge
miner220
Bghunter119
utahcoyote
13 posters
AuthorMessage
utahcoyote
Admin
utahcoyote

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 6:44 pm

Anyone ever tried it?
Back to top Go down
https://bobcatsrus.forumotion.net
Bghunter119

Bghunter119

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 7:22 pm

no but i wouldnt mind trying it multiple times
Back to top Go down
miner220

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 10:48 pm

what is the best way to release cats?
I don't have a catch pole, should I?
Back to top Go down
rouge

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 12:45 pm

Better get a catch pole.
You choke them down some and you have to be fast as they choke and die easy as their wind pipe is close to the surface of the neck.

Make sure you buy a quality one, your life and their's depend on it.
Back to top Go down
miner220

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 4:23 pm

hey rouge,
thanks for the advice.
Have you ever had them come back at you?
Back to top Go down
rouge

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 5:29 pm

If you don't move them from the trap circle they will stay and spat at ya. So it's best to move them from the area and you walk off a ways to let them relax a little so they move off.
Good luck, it's all part of the game. Also badgers will choke fairly easy for as tough as they are.
Back to top Go down
bill1306

bill1306

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyThu Oct 22, 2009 7:15 pm

I release all the young of the year and female bobcats. If they have frozen feet, don't release them. I use more cage traps now a days and I don't have the problems with any that I release. This last winter, I released the same young female two times in one week. Talk about a slow learner..........
Back to top Go down
utahcoyote
Admin
utahcoyote

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 11:09 am

Yeah I have caught the same cat a couple times in the same year several times.
Back to top Go down
Dawgz

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 6:01 pm

You guys must really have dumb cats.
Most of our cats move on or never come back to that trap spot.
Seen it to many times. Only time I've ever caught the same cat back it was only caught by a toe or hind footed.
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

Bghunter119

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 9:27 pm

there was a short video on youtube, i think i found it, here is the link, this is a definate how not to video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY0xp5YhtyA
Back to top Go down
utahcoyote
Admin
utahcoyote

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 11:33 pm

Most the time its the kittens that come back but not always
Back to top Go down
bill1306

bill1306

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 11:15 am

Maybe we do have the dumbest cats in the world and that is why we re-catch them, I DON'T THINK SO! The only trappers that I know that don't re-catch cats that they release, are the guys that don't release cats and a pull out isn't something, that I would call a released cat. Trapping isn't like fishing, when a small fish falls off of the hook, fishermen call it a quick release, we don't use hooks.
Back to top Go down
Dawgz

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 5:44 pm

Sorry Bill, been at this to long, I do know what I'm talking about.
Full front paw catches then released I've never caught back. Only if I catch a toe or a hind foot have I ever possibly caught that cat back and those have been few and far between.
Back to top Go down
sixbits

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyTue Oct 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Hmm I dont know any thing about cats .can you tell me why they wont come back?
Back to top Go down
Tomcat

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 11:15 am

I release alot of bobcats. Like Bill I release all my kittens and most females if feet are good. I use a catch pole and pin them down and get after it quick. I try not to choke them down, just pin them down at the end of the chain and get them out.
Back to top Go down
Tomcat

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 11:23 am

And no they don't always leave when released. This one watched me remake the set.

Releasing Bobcats 100_0611
Back to top Go down
Tomcat

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 11:30 am

And this one went and climbed up in the engine of my pickup between the fan and radiator.

Releasing Bobcats 100_0517
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

Bghunter119

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 5:38 pm

by the looks of the front paws, you had some good solid catches on them cats, maybe they were sayin thanks for letting them go lol!
Back to top Go down
bill1306

bill1306

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 10:43 am

For the most part, I only use live traps to trap bobcats now and it makes releasing easy. I also used to use a catch pole and choke them down to release them. In this part of the world, it is too easy to trap out a whole population of cats. They don't have wilderness areas to repopulate the area that you are trapping and it is sometimes a long distance between drainages with a lot of open farm ground. Once an area is trapped out, it might be several years before cats move back into it and I don't have several years to wait, because I got greedy and killed all of the cats in an area. It still fascinates me that the same guys that trap, will release a bass or pass up a small buck, knowing that they will be larger the next time they catch the fish or the buck will grow up, but they will kill every female and kitten........
Back to top Go down
Bghunter119

Bghunter119

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 4:55 pm

we have guys here who trapped an area and caught 10 cats one year and the next they didnt catch any in that area and wonder why they didnt get the numbers they did the year before out of there, they say cats will move into an area if unchallenged, but like you said it still takes time to repopulate
Back to top Go down
Tomcat

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 8:08 pm

If I trap an area one year and take some cats out of it even if I release most of the females and kittens I try not to trap that spot again for 2 years. But I have alot of places to trap.
Back to top Go down
bill1306

bill1306

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 10:15 pm

I have some areas that I trap every year, but I also spend a lot of my efforts trapping toms and staying away form the areas with females and kittens. Most of the areas I trap for cats, I rest every other year.
Back to top Go down
utahcoyote
Admin
utahcoyote

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 10:09 pm

I released 1 once that just sat in a corner and watched me for an hour, it was pretty cool
Back to top Go down
utahcoyote
Admin
utahcoyote

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 6:32 pm

Here are some pictures of a kitten I once released. He probably would have fetched about 20 bucks had I taken him to the sale that year

Releasing Bobcats P2060040

Releasing Bobcats P2060037

Releasing Bobcats P2060035

Two years later I caught him again, at the sale he sold for 512

Releasing Bobcats Bobcat166
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyWed Jan 04, 2012 1:54 am

Yes, I see a lot of good information here. When I started trapping in the 1960's, I caught an entire family of cats in a canyon and took every one of them. Didn't catch another cat in that canyon for 5 or 6 years. Was new to trapping at the time and didn't understand the value in releasing the young or small females. But I have learned. I once caught a cat, released it using a choke pole. I drug it about 10 yards away and proceeded to reset the trap. Of course I kept an eye on it and there wasn't much cover around the place where the trap was set. I would look up every 10 or so seconds and check on it to make sure it had not decided to exact revenge on me. The on one of the times I looked up, it was gone, as if it had vanished? Like I say, not much cover for over 50 yards and it was no where to be seen. Gave me a new perspective on these critters.
Back to top Go down
grizbacker

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 7:54 pm

I like the idea of letting the young and small females go. A couple of rookie questions though. Anyone have a picture of a frozen foot vs. a non frozen one? not really sure what to look for unless it is way obvious? Also, it there anyway to tell male from female without flipping the cat over? that seems kinda dangerous
Back to top Go down
ridgeback740

ridgeback740

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 9:38 pm

I really don't know how to explain it except this way, and its not 100% fool proof. Males will have a longer snout or nose and females seem to have a flatter face. Like I said, I've made a few mistakes, but 90% of the time I'm correct in my observation. If you look at house cats, they are much the same way as bobcats. I guess you could use a choke pole and knock them out (sometimes this ends in their death though). If anyone else out there has a better way to determine sex without trying to roll them over, and that is a trick in and of itself, I'd be interested to know.
Back to top Go down
grizbacker

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 12:24 am

Guess I'll have to learn by looking at the face i dont think rolling one over would be too easy haha. So what about the frozen foot? Is it real obvious, or what are the signs?
Back to top Go down
elkantlers

elkantlers

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 6:18 pm

When I let them go, I like to get a loop around the neck and also grab the loose front foot. It is not as hard as it sounds. once you have that done it is pretty easy to pin them to the ground and release the trap. I don't like choking them down to release them. Its way easy to go too far. Plus I think it is better for the animal.
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 7:41 pm

The blood supply runs on both sides of the neck is what puts them down not lack of air so be careful and check that foot good. No need to turn loose a cat that will die because he cant hunt. I just usually say kind things to them and gently release the trap. This is while I tell them sorry and that there is a nice bunny close. Just kidding it is good to let the young females and kittens loose. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
cattrappernv

cattrappernv

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 8:34 pm

I wasn't trying to release a cat just choking it out and the cat pretended to be dead and out of no where i took a suck punch to the right eye. blood down my face and and good inch deep cut right under my eye. I was lucky. I have tried in the past and end up getting hurt or hurting the cat. I would like to see it done.
Back to top Go down
BUCKSNBOWS

BUCKSNBOWS

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 9:07 pm

I perfer the choke sticks that have the locking handle for this reason. nothing like a sucker punch from a sawbladed sidewinder!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Releasing Bobcats Empty
PostSubject: Re: Releasing Bobcats   Releasing Bobcats Empty

Back to top Go down

Releasing Bobcats
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bobcats R Us :: Trapping-
Jump to: